Our strategic direction
Strategic Direction | Te Aronga Rautaki
We can only be successful in achieving progress if we work closely with mana whenua, central and other local government agencies, businesses, industry sectors and community and volunteer groups to manage natural resources.
Our vision and purpose
Taking action together to shape a thriving and resilient Canterbury, now and for future generations | Toitū te marae o Tāne, toitū te marae o Tangaroa, toitū te iwi.
Transformational opportunities are the opportunities to accelerate environmental change and community wellbeing.
Enduring priorities are the areas we continue to focus on.
Learn about the values that underpin the way we work towards our desired outcomes and our portfolios and how we make decisions.
Our operating principles
We will make good decisions by:
- Listening to the people to serve communities.
- Displaying confident and caring democratic leadership.
- Working collaboratively with partners.
- Being guided by our values.
- Taking into account cultural, social, economic and environmental wellbeing.
- Being evidence-based and future-focused.
- Enabling innovation.
- Ensuring change is both managed and manageable.
We will support this by investing in:
- An enduring partnership with Ngāi Tahu.
- Community participation locally and regionally.
- High-performing people for success.
- Knowledge: science, data and mātauranga Māori.
- Securing a diversity of funding sources.
- Opportunities through technology and innovation.
Environment Canterbury © 2023
Retrieved: 4:55am, Tue 07 Feb 2023