Building consents complaints process

Throughout the consenting process, the building team does everything it can to maintain a customer focus. However, if you are unhappy with their customer service or decisions, a complaint should be raised.

The complaint will be investigated by our Consents Planning Manager, who will determine what further action should be taken in regard to the complaint as set out in this building consents complaints procedure.

If the outcome from a complaint is deemed unsatisfactory by the complainant, the matter will be escalated to the Chief Operating Officer for review.

How to make a complaint

All formal complaints to the Council must be received in writing by email or letter:

  • Customer Services, Environment Canterbury, P O Box 345, Christchurch 8140.

The Consents Planning Manager will respond to your complaint in writing.

Resolving problems

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the Council's building control functions, guidance on resolving problems can found on the Building Performance website.

The Building Act has a provision to obtain a determination. A determination is a legally binding ruling made by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) about matters of doubt or dispute to do with building work. Guidance about determinations can also be found on the Building Performance website.