2. Do I need application advice from Environment Canterbury?
Our consents planners can provide an hour of free advice, after which there is an hourly charge + GST. You can apply online to request a pre-application meeting below.
Meeting with us before you embark on an application for a resource consent will:
- Provide an overview of the Resource Management Act 1991
- Confirm and identify what type of consents you may need for your proposal (note this advice should not be relied upon as how to best achieve a particular outcome. Advice is limited to identifying what consents may be needed for the proposal you present to our consent planners)
- Help you understand the relevant planning provisions (objectives, policies and rules) for your proposal
- Help identify what information needs to be included in the consent application, such as environmental assessments, data analysis and cultural impacts
- Explain how the process works, including potential costs and times
- Identify and provide contact details for tāngata whenua who may be affected by your application
- Identify other individuals or groups that may also be affected (this is based on the information available at the time, and other parties may be identified through the consent process)
- Explain which situations determine if your application is publicly or limited notified
We advise you consider the following before meeting:
- Do other parties need to be part of the meeting?
- Does your application involve another council?
- Site identification including a legal description and map
- Site photos
- Site plan or proposed plan
- Description of the proposal
- Initial data analysis