1. Do I need a resource consent?

Knowing which activities need a resource consent and taking time to prepare your application thoroughly and accurately gives you the best start. 

Which types of activities need a resource consent?

We've listed examples of activities that may require a resource consent below. Sometimes an activity requires more than one resource consent. City and district councils also issue consents for some land uses and subdivisions.

Land use consents

  • Using land for storing animal effluent or farming
  • Using, placing, altering or removing structures or disturbing the bed of a river or lake.

Discharge permits

  • Discharging a contaminant to land, water or air (for example, dairy shed effluent to land or dust/smoke to the air)
  • Discharging water to land and/or water (for example stormwater).

Water permits

  • Taking, using, damming and/or diverting water (for example, irrigation or stockwater).

Coastal permits

  • Disturbing the foreshore and/or seabed
  • Occupying the coastal marine area.
Is my consent due to expire?

If your consent is due to expire and you are applying for a new consent for the same activity, section 124 of the Resource Management Act allows you to continue exercising your consent until a new one is either granted or declined and all appeals have been settled if:-

  • The new application is made six months before the expiry of the existing consent; or
  • The new application is made between three and six months before the expiry of the existing consent. In this instance, it is at our discretion to allow the holder to continue to operate.