The Lower Waitaki South Coastal Canterbury water zone features a network of spring-fed streams, coastal lagoons, complex groundwater flows, and includes part of the large alpine Waitaki River. The vision for the zone is to restore the health and mauri of Wainono lagoon while realising the gains from consented irrigation schemes and to maintain high water quality in the Waitaki while providing opportunities for new and existing business.
Meet your water zone committee
Meet your water zone committee members.
Action in the zone
We deliver work related to the zone committee's recommendations through an on-the-ground team made up of Environment Canterbury staff.
Zone committee recommendations for environmental limits are given effect to through the Canterbury Land and Water Regional Plan.
News and events
Check out your zone's latest stories, videos and newsletters via the news and events section of our website.
Information for farmers
Visit the Good Management Practice (GMP) website to find zone-specific farming information.
Got a question? Want to receive regular updates?
Sign up for newsletters and other important updates and ask a question using our online form.
Integrated monitoring framework (IMF)
The IMF draws on several existing groundwater and surface water monitoring programmes for the Waitaki catchment.
View agendas and meeting papers
Use our Document Library to find water zone committee agendas and meeting papers.
Your natural environment
Discover the natural environment in the Lower Waitaki South Coastal Canterbury zone.
- 426.6kB View the 2016 - 2017 Compliance Monitoring Annual Snapshot report
- 4.3MB View the Lower Waiatki South Coastal Zone Committee Annual Report Nov 2016
- 9.1MB View the Lower Waitaki South Coastal Zone Implementation Programme
- 1.3MB View the Lower Waitaki ZIP Addendum
- 2.4MB View the South Coastal Canterbury Zone Implementation Programme Addendum
- 2.7MB View the Canterbury Water Management Strategy
- 262.1kB Year end progress reporting 2016-17 - Lower Waitaki Zone Committee