Fulton Hogan Ltd - proposed Roydon Quarry
Environment Canterbury and Selwyn District Council has received an application to establish a new quarry (Roydon Quarry) between Curraghs, Dawsons, Maddisons and Jones Road, Templeton.
The joint hearing of the applications will commence:
- Monday 18 November – Friday 22 November 2019 from 9.00am -5.00pm in the Pearce Lounge, West Melton Community Centre, 1163 West Coast Road, West Melton.
- Monday 2 December – Friday 6 December 2019 from 9.00am -5.00pm in ‘The Ballroom’, Wigram Base Hotel, 14 Henry Wigram Drive, Christchurch
- Monday 9 December – Friday 13 December 2019 from 9.00am -5.00pmin the ‘Phar Lap Room’, Riccarton Park (Racecourse), 165 Racecourse Road, Christchurch
For any queries regarding the hearing please contact Alison Cooper, Consents Hearings Officer at Hearings@ecan.govt.nz or call 027 5497661.
- Application Form - New activity
- Application Form - Change conditions
- Application Assessment of Environmental Effects Report
- AEE Report - Appendix C - Integrated Transportation Assessment
- AEE Report- Appendix D - Air Quality Assessment (and Dust Management Plan)
- AEE Report- Appendix E - Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment
- AEE Report - Appendix F - Draft Cleanfill Management Plan
- AEE Report - Appendix G - Draft Rehabilitation Management Plan
- AEE Report - Appendix H - Combined PSI-DSI Contamination Report
- AEE Report- Appendix I - Acoustic Assessment
- AEE Report - Appendix J - Economic Assessment
- AEE Report - Appendix K - Statutory Assessment
- Letter of Request for Further Information
- s92 response - Cover letter
- S92 Response - report March 2019
- s92 Response report - Appendix B - Good Practice Dust Control Comparison
- S92 Response report - Appendix C Revised Cleanfill Management Plan
- s92 Response report - Appendix D - Reeftide's Assessment of Environmental Effects
- S92 Response report - Appendix E - Stantec Traffic Report
- s92 Response report - Appendix F - MDA Acoustics Report
- S92 response report - Appendix G DCM Urban Landscape report comments
- s92 Response report - Appendix G - Landscape Management Plan B
- s92 Response report - Appendix G -Landscape Management Plan - Figures
- s92 Response report - Appendix H - Draft Conditions - Selwyn District
- s92 Response report - Appendix H - Draft Conditions - Environment Canterbury
- s92 Response report - Appendix I - Indicative Lighting Plan
Resource Management Act 1991
The Canterbury Regional Council and Selwyn District Council have received an application from Fulton Hogan Limited for various resource consents to establish an aggregate quarry (known as ‘Roydon Quarry’) at the site within the Selwyn District bounded by Curraghs Road, Dawsons Road, Madisons Road and Jones Road, Canterbury, legally identified as: Rural Section 6475 and Rural Section 6324; Lot 1 Deposited Plan 4031; Rural Section 6342; Section 7 Survey Office Plan 510345, and Rural Section 5381 and Section 6 Survey Office Plan 510345
The proposed quarry will generally involve topsoil stripping, bund formation, aggregate extraction to a depth of approximately ten metres below ground level and rehabilitation of the site with cleanfill, overburden and topsoil material. From extraction areas, aggregate material will be transferred by field conveyers and dump trucks to on-site processing plant, which will involve crushing, screening and washing of aggregates. The use of a mobile processing plant is also proposed.
Other activities that are proposed to occur on site include stockpiling of aggregates, wash water ponds, workshops, staff amenity blocks and offices, along with the management of adverse effects such as bunding and screen planting, as well as dust mitigation. Dedicated accesses for heavy and light vehicles will be created off Jones Road, and improvements to Jones Road are proposed, including two options for a roundabout near the intersection of Jones and Dawsons Roads.
Fulton Hogan Ltd have also applied to use water taken pursuant to existing resource consent CRC182422, for the purposes of aggregate washing and dust suppression. Fulton Hogan Ltd have sought a change to the conditions of resource consent CRC182442 to enable this additional use (and a change to Condition 5c). However, it may, in fact, require a new "use" permit to sit alongside CRC182442. Accordingly, a new use permit has been applied for as an alternative to the application under section 127 of the RMA to change the conditions of CRC182442. Either way, the status of the activity (being a different use of water) is discretionary regardless of whether the outcome is achieved by way of a change of conditions or a new resource consent for the use of water.
The applicant has applied for the following resource consents from:
Canterbury Regional Council
- CRC192408 – A land use consent to excavate material.
- CRC192409 – A land use consent to deposit cleanfill over an unconfined/semi-confined aquifer.
- CRC192410 – A discharge permit to discharge contaminants into air from an industrial or trade premise or process.
- CRC192411 – A discharge permit to discharge contaminants into land where it may enter water from an industrial or trade process within the Selwyn-Te Waihora sub-region.
- CRC192412 – A discharge permit to discharge stormwater into land where contaminants may enter groundwater.
- CRC192413 – A discharge permit to discharge contaminants into land where contaminants may enter groundwater associated with the deposition of cleanfill for site rehabiliatation.
- CRC192414 – A water permit to use water for aggregate washing and dust suppression, either as a change to the conditions of resource consent CRC182422 or a new water permit to use water.
Selwyn District Council
RC185627 - A land use consent for gravel extraction and processing operations within the Inner Plains zone.
An unlimited consent duration is sought for all land use consents, and a consent duration of 35 years is sought for the discharge permits. The proposed expiry date for the water permit is 1 July 2032, which is the same expiry date as the existing water permit (CRC182422).
Update to the number of submissions received
We’ve now received a final total of 454 submissions, of which 354 oppose the application. 177 submitters have stated they want to be heard in support of their submission at the hearing.
Due to the high level of public interest in this application, we’ve made the submissions publicly available and you can find them sorted alphabetically below.
However, personal or commercially sensitive information contained in submissions has been redacted to protect the interests of submitters.
For similar reasons, where submissions contain a substantial level of personal or commercial information, these submissions have not been published.’
- Minute No.8 of the Hearing Commissioners dated 15 October 2019 (PDF File, 92.94KB)
- Minute No.7 of the Hearing Commissioners dated 14 October 2019 (PDF File, 91.78KB)
- Minute No.6 of the Hearing Commissioners dated 7 October 2019 (PDF File, 93.85KB)
- Declaration letter dated 4 Oct 2019 - P Thomas (PDF File, 57.51KB)
- Minute No.5 of the Hearing Commissioners dated 3 October 2019 (PDF File, 93.75KB)
- Applicants Memorandum to Hearing Panel of 2nd October 2019 (PDF File, 69.91KB)
- Minute No.4 of the hearing Commissioner dated 2 October 2019 (PDF File, 93.92KB)
- Minute No.3 of the Hearing Commissioners dated 18 September 2019 (PDF File, 112.05KB)
- Applicant memo response to Minute 2 of the Commissioners (PDF File, 538.19KB)
- Minute No.2 of the Hearing Commissioners dated 27 August 2019 (PDF File, 1.71MB)
- Minute No.1 of the Hearing Commissioners dated 15 July 2019 (PDF File, 139.88KB)
- Commissioners Decision - Timeframe extension (PDF File, 121.49KB)
- Selwyn District Council decision - timeframe extension
- SDC 42A Report of A Henderson - incl draft conditions and economic review memo (PDF File, 1.27MB)
- SDC s42A report - J Trevathan - Noise (PDF File, 579.53KB
- SDC s42A report - A Carr - Traffic (PDF File, 191.08KB)
- SDC s42A report - Landscape assessment (PDF File, 1.87MB)
- CRC s42A Report of H Goslin (PDF File, 888.89KB)
- CRC s42A Report - Appendix 1 D.Ryan - Air Quality (PDF File, 333.04KB)
- CRC s42A Report - Appendix 2 - Dr L. Scott _Groundwater Quality (PDF File, 883.68KB)
- CRC s42A Report - Appendix 3 - R Freeman - Contamated lands (PDF File, 199.91KB)
- CRC s42A Report - Appendix 4 Legal Advice re-water permit. (PDF File, 132.41KB)
- CRC s42A Report - Appendix 5 Memo S. Firth - Yaldhurst Air Monitoring Programme (PDF File, 152.06KB)
- CRC s42A Report - Appendix 6 Memo of D. Just - Annual volume for water permit (PDF File, 1.17MB)
- CRCs42A report Appendix 7 Conditions - superseded (PDF File, 464.21KB)
- CRC s42A Report Addendum and Updated Conditions (PDF File, 733.94KB)
The evidence of Kevin Bligh - Project and consent conditions - has been updated as of 12.50pm on 24 September 2019 to include Annexure B - consent conditions. Annexure B was not attached to the original uploaded document.
The evidence of R Cudmore - Air Quality has been updated as of 9.00am on 25 September 2019. The annexures have been replaced with the correct version.