Some of the information on this page as well as linked documents may be out of date as a result of the Essential Freshwater Package(external link) introduced in September 2020.

Environment Canterbury is currently in the process of updating all relevant documentation. If you have any queries please contact Customer Services on 0800 324 636.

For zone-specific rules and information click on your zone - or find your zone using the tool below.

To see if you need a land use consent to farm:

  1. Select your zone. If you are unsure, use the 'find your zone' tool.
  2. Within your zone, open the 'farming land use consents' menu, then click on ‘when do I need a consent?’
  3. Read the rules carefully to see if you need a consent or if your operation is a permitted activity.
  4. If you do need a land use consent to farm, you can download your application form and planning assessment or contact an industry support partner for help.

Kaikōura    Hurunui Waiau    Waimakariri    Christchurch West Melton    Banks Peninsula    Selwyn Waihora    Ashburton   Ōrāri Temuka Ōpihi Pareora    Upper Waitaki   Lower Waitaki South Coastal Canterbury    Find my zone(external link)