5. Lodge my application

Putting together a consent application is complex; however, the clearer you describe what you want to do and where you want to do it, the easier the process of lodging an application will be.

The application process is outlined in detail below. You will need to use our application forms and possibly some of our online tools to help. You can also find out information on current resource consent fees and charges.

Once you feel your application is ready, please submit it with the initial payment via email, post or in person.

After you have lodged your application, we have 10 working days to let you know if you have given us enough information to proceed to the next step.

How to apply – check out these handy tips
Describe the activity
You must provide clear details of what you want to do and where.
The more information you are able to provide, the better understanding we will have of your proposal.
In particular, we require a map clearly showing the location of proposed works and a legal description of the site.
The description will depend on the activity, but in general, we need to know:
  • What do you want to do?
  • How do you want to do it?
  • Where you want to do it?
  • When do you want to do it?
  • Why do you want to do it?
Describe the environment

We need to know where your proposed activity is related, in relation to nearby features.

For all applications:

  • Is the property registered on the Listed Land Use Register?
  • What is the distance to any significant environmental, historic or cultural sites?

You can check for these using the Canterbury Maps database and Canterbury Maps Biodiversity & Ecological database

Please also refer to the Ecological Criteria Guidelines. N.B. This report was prepared by Wildland Consultants under contract to Environment Canterbury and does not endorse this consultancy above any other for application of RPS criteria.


Research regional plans and rules

In general, for a new consent, you will need to: 

Provide an environmental assessment

Your Assessment of Actual and Potential Effects on the Environment (AEE) will need to include:

  • identification of any affected parties
  • effects on the environment
  • possible ways of avoiding, remedying or reducing any adverse effect identified
  • possible alternatives to the proposal
  • positive effects.

Read the Ministry for the Environment guidePlease also refer to the Ecological Criteria Guidelines (PDF file, 10.81MB).

Search existing consents
Our consent search allows you to look at any resource consent document held by us.
Resource consents can be searched by number, holder, location, type and status.
Searching for existing consent applications for similar activities or locations can be used to identify how your application can best be written.
How to pay

Payments can be made via internet banking as detailed below, by credit card through our Customers services team on  0800 324 636.

Internet banking

Bank: ASB
Account Name: Environment Canterbury
Account Number: 12-3151-0059468-00
Reference: Customer Number (EC) or Invoice Number

Credit card

Contact our Customer Services team on 0800 324 636 to make a payment over the phone.


Useful tools

Consent search
You can search consents here.
Well search
Our well search displays a summary of information that we have on a specified well or bore. Click here.
Well interference assessment tool
Our groundwater Well Interference Assessment tool is a web application that allows you to create a PRN file directly from our well and resource consent databases.
View instructions for the Well Interference Assessment tool.
The Canterbury Land and Water Regional Plan allows consent applicants to use a model to estimate a seasonal volume that complies with Schedule 10.

Use a model that has been field validated and shown to reliably predict annual irrigation volume within an accuracy of 15 per cent.

The annual volume calculated using the model shall be complaint with the following criteria:

  • an irrigation application efficiency of 80 per cent
  • a system capacity to meet peak demand (half a litre per second per hectare)
  • a nominal irrigation season from September 1 to April 30, and
  • demand conditions that occur in nine out of 10 years.

Download the IrriCalc Guidance Document (PDF File, 59.29KB) for detailed information.

  • Section 1 sets out the criteria and requirements for a model and its application to estimate seasonal irrigation water use and to set seasonal irrigation water use limits.
  • Section 2 is dedicated to providing guidance on how to calculate a farm's seasonal irrigation water limit using the IrriCalc maps.
  • Section 3 provides answers to some of the main questions associated with using the IrriCalc model.
Annual volume calculator
This is an Excel spreadsheet for you to calculate an annual volume for a specific area of irrigated land.
To use the calculator, you will need some specific technical information about your actual or intended irrigated area.
Whether you already have an existing consent for the area or your interest is in applying for a new consent, the valuation or legal description for all relevant land parcels will be helpful. Alternatively, you can search by entering the name of an adjacent road.
If you want to calculate the annual volume for more than one consent or if land parcels are geographically separate, you will have to run a separate calculation for each consent/land parcel.

You will need the following information from your pumping schedule:

  • The maximum volume (actual or intended) per Return Period. Return Period is the time (in days) between successive irrigations.
  • Length of return period (actual or intended).

To find this information:

  • Check the consent details sent to you from Environment Canterbury or search using our consent finder
  • The instructions on the use of the spreadsheet show how to determine the maximum volume if it is not explicitly stated in an existing consent.

You will also need to know:

  • the area (in hectares) to be irrigated
  • land-use type (actual or intended) e.g. arable, intensive pasture
  • Profile Available Water (PAW)
  • effective irrigation season rainfall.

To find this information:

Information on Profile Available Water (PAW) and effective irrigation can be obtained using Canterbury Maps.

To use the spreadsheet for calculation:

Irrigation restrictions
Use the table on our site here to find out about irrigation restrictions for a specific area.
Erosion and sediment control training
We hold training workshops, produced by us in consultation with the earthworks industry, to provide practical advice about on-site measures. These will help you meet resource consent conditions and prevent waterway and dust-related pollution.
With the help of our sponsors, GeofabricsMBC and RST Environmental Solutions Ltd, we offer two training workshops led by Campbell Stewart. You can read more about him at SouthernSkies Environmental Limited where he is a director. 
Course 1: Introduction - For Earthworks Site Contractors
  • Course date: as needed

This is a one-day workshop for those who are involved or interested in the building, operation, maintenance or decommissioning of measures set out in erosion and sediment control plans. This workshop provides a background understanding of erosion and sediment control methods and the environmental effects of sediment.

To register: erosion.sediment@ecan.govt.nz
Course fee: TBC

Course 2: Introduction - For Consultants, Local Authority Staff and Earthwork Site Managers

  • Course date: as needed

This is a one-day workshop for consultants (who lodge consent applications for earthworks and stream works, prepare assessments of environmental effects and erosion and sediment control plans in support of these and who call for tenders for the approved works), site contract managers, local authority staff (involved with policy, consenting and compliance associated with earthworks and stream works) and those wanting a detailed working knowledge of erosion and sediment control.

This workshop provides a background understanding of erosion and sediment control methods and the environmental effects of sediment. Time is also spent visiting a greenfield development site and preparing an erosion and sediment control plan.

To register: erosion.sediment@ecan.govt.nz
Course fee: TBC

 Conditions of training courses: 

  • The site visit is reliant on availability and is not guaranteed. We will always do our utmost to include a site visit but if situations arise beyond our control then this may not be part of the workshop.
  • Registration confirms placement for attendee in the required workshop. If for any reason the attendee is unable to attend the workshop then a minimum of 48 hours notification to the workshop organiser is required. The ideal situation (should the registered attendee not be able to attend the workshop) would be that the registered attendee arrange a substitute to take the original attendee's place.
  • Cancellation of an attendee outside of the 48 hours minimum notification without replacement will incur the schedule workshop fee.
  • Attendance is limited to 20 people at each workshop.

Builder's pocket guide

People who are constructing houses on small sites or companies managing the construction of commercial sites can refer to the builder's pocket guide for small sites (PDF File, 1.78MB).

Erosion and sediment control guidelines

The erosion and sediment control guidelines is a set of guidelines for anyone involved with any type of earthworks on the land or near water—projects large and small. They provide guidance for minimising the adverse effects of erosion and sedimentation while planning, constructing and maintaining a project. 

Online geographic information systems at Canterbury Maps
Click on Canterbury Maps to find irrigated areas. Instructions can be found here

Resource Consent application forms

Resource consent application forms and associated documents are grouped by type below.

Please download your required application form, print and fill in the form. Sent your completed application form via email to  ecinfo@ecan.govt.nz or post to Environment Canterbury, PO Box 345, Christchurch 8140.

Need help with your application? Contact us

Dairy effluent discharge application forms

Discharge dairy effluent and to store dairy effluent  CON080 

Farming application forms 

Farming activities: Region wide and Sub regional – CON501

The CON501 application form (PDF, 413.32KB) may be used when applying for a land use consent to use land for farming for an individual property or farm enterprise covered by the region wide and sub regional sections of the Land and Water Regional Plan (LWRP).

Find your relevant nutrient zone applicable to your property or farm enterprise.

Environment Canterbury has prepared a Planning Assessment Form that sets out the relevant planning provisions for the respective zones under the region wide and sub regional sections of the LWRP:

  • If you choose not to use the Planning Assessment Form, please provide your own planning assessment of the activity against the relevant planning provisions.
  • If your property or farm enterprise covers multiple nutrient zones under the LWRP, you must include a separate planning assessment for each zone applicable.
Region Wide applications:

Farming activities: – Red Nutrient Allocation Zone – CON501A

Farming activities: – Orange Nutrient Allocation Zone – CON501B

Farming activities: – Lake Nutrient Allocation Zone – CON501C

Farming activities: – Green and Light Blue Nutrient Allocation Zone – CON501D

Farming activities: – Alternative Pathway – CON501E

Sub-Region Wide applications:

Farming activities: – South Coastal Canterbury – CON501F

Farming activities: – Waimakariri – CON501G

Farming activities: – Waitaki – CON501H

Farming activities: – Orari – Temuka – Opihi - Pareora – CON501I

Farming activities: – Lower Hinds / Hekeao Plains – CON501J

Farming activities: – Upper Hinds / Hekeao Plains – CON501K

Farming activities: – Selwyn Te Waihora – CON501L


Discharge to air – spray coating – CON302 

Discharge to air: Crop residue burning – CON303

Water (includes take and use of groundwater)
Discharges (wastewater and stormwater)

Discharge stormwater into land – CON060

Discharge stormwater into surface water – CON061 

Discharge of contaminants into land from an onsite wastewater system – CON070

Land use (gravel and bore permits)

Install or alter a bore – CON001

Land use including works in or within 7.5 metres of the beds of lakes and rivers – CON020

Extraction of gravel – CON050

Forms for all other activities

Application for resource consent – CON499 

Permitted activity forms

Application for a certificate of compliance – CON120 

Application for a certificate of existing use – CON121 

General process forms (transfer, name or address change, withdrawal, surrender)

Change of name for application in progress – CON500 

Written approval of persons likely affected – FORM8A

Withdraw application for a resource consent – CON530 

Transfer of resource consent – CON540  

Partial transfer of resource consent ground surface water – CON541A

Partial transfer of a discharge consent – CON541B

Partial transfer of resource consent – CON541C

Transfer of water permit to another site – CON542 

Full surrender of resource consent – CON550  

Partial surrender of resource consent – CON551  

Application to amend water metering condition and reduce rate of take on consent – CON552 

Change of address – CON560  

Change or cancel conditions – CON570

Information return forms (to comply with consent conditions)

Flowmeter and datalogger installation – CON580  

Flowmeter verification form – CON581  

Non-standard installation approval 

Open channel and partially filled pipe installation and commissioning

Bore log report 

Hearings forms

Submission on resource consent application – CON520

Submission on an application for a resource consent by a person on whom notice of the application has been served – CON521

Withdrawal of right to be heard – CON522 

Withdrawal of submission lodged – CON523 

More information

  • Swing mooring, slipway and Navigation Safety Bylaw forms are in the Harbourmaster's Office section.
  • As further forms are developed, they will appear on this page. In the meantime, you may need a form which is only available directly from Customer Services. Please contact us if you have any questions.