July update: Christchurch West Melton Zone Delivery Lead

Christchurch West Melton Zone Delivery Lead Ruth Sarson

Christchurch West Melton Zone Delivery Lead Ruth Sarson

Hear from Christchurch West Melton Zone Delivery Lead Ruth Sarson, who’s reminding people that if the property is under two hectares in size, outdoor burning is not permitted.

Winter usually sees an increase in people wanting to tidy up the green waste or rubbish in their backyard by burning it.

It may seem like a good way to get rid of it, but if you’re in an urban area where properties are often under two hectares in size, then outdoor burning is a no-go.

If you’ve got waste that won’t fit in your red, green or yellow curbside collection bins, you can take your rubbish to the nearest landfill, and green waste and recycling to the nearest EcoDrop centre.

There may be a cost to removing this waste from your property, but the cost to the environment from burning it can be extremely detrimental.

Smoke, haze and hazards

If your property is under two hectares, you cannot burn outdoors, even if you are in a rural area.

This is because burning on smaller properties increases the risk of fire to surrounding properties and the risk to health from smoke and fumes.

The only exception is outdoor cooking like BBQs, pizza ovens, hāngi or umu, but please consider your neighbours as smoke wafting across to other properties is also a no-go.

Although rules are restrictive, they’re there to keep yourself and your neighbours safe from hazards, smoke and fire.

The city has made great gains on reducing smoke from domestic home heating over recent years. We can all play our part in improving air quality by ensuring outdoor burning in the city does not happen.

Find out more about outdoor burning rules.

Banned materials

Certain materials produce offensive smoke and may create health hazards when ignited.

Under no circumstances should the following materials be burnt:

  • Painted or treated wood
  • Rubber
  • Wire (including coated wire)
  • Plastic
  • Material containing asbestos
  • Metals
  • Batteries
  • Used and waste oil
  • Chemicals
  • Tar and bitumen
  • Paint and other surface coating materials
  • Containers that have stored hazardous materials.

To report a burning-related incident, call Environment Canterbury on 0800 765 588 (24 hours/7 days).

If you are worried about the safety of property or persons, then dial 111.

Find out more