Woodstock Quarries Limited
- Submissions opened: Saturday, 12th Nov 2022 - 1:00am
- Submissions closed: Thursday, 22nd Dec 2022 - 5:00pm
Resource Management Act 1991
Resource consent applications: CRC214073, CRC214074, CRC214075, CRC214076, CRC214077 and RC215276
|Applicant||Woodstock Quarries Limited|
|Address for service||c/- Baker Tilly Staples Rodway Christchurch Ltd|
|PO Box 8039|
|Attn: Darryn Shepherd|
The Canterbury Regional Council and Waimakariri District Council have received an application from Woodstock Quarries Limited for resource consents to expand an existing hard rock quarry and to establish and operate new solid waste management and disposal facility for the disposal of construction and demolition waste, contaminated soils and special wastes at 513 Trig Road, View Hill, legally described as LOT 1 DP 481768.
The proposed quarry extension will involve topsoil stripping and aggregate extraction to a depth between 5 and 50 metres below ground level over up to 14 hectares in total. Blasting is proposed to occur to a minor extent with most excavation being undertaken by large excavators. Crushing and stockpiling of extracted rock will occur within the quarry site.
The proposed landfill operation is to be located within quarried areas of the site over a footprint of approximately 12.4 hectares with an approximate total volume of 4.1 million cubic metres. This equates to approximately 100,000 cubic metres of landfill material per year, and a maximum of 40 truck movements per day. The landfill surface is proposed to be progressively restored to match the surrounding natural landforms. A final low permeability capping layer and rehabilitation with grasses or native vegetation are proposed.
Material transported to the landfill will be in enclosed containers. The content of the material to be disposed of in the landfill will include construction and demolition waste, contaminated soils and special wastes. Material will not include putrescible waste (i.e. green waste) or municipal solid waste (i.e. from town rubbish collections.)
Other activities that are proposed to occur on site include stormwater management and discharges, groundwater interception in underdrainage system and associated discharges, the formation of landscape bunds, internal roading, container transfer area and site facilities area at the entrance of the site.
The site will be accessed via a dedicated access point from Trig Road only.
Resource Consents Sought
The applicant has applied for the following resource consents from the Canterbury Regional Council:
- CRC214073 – A land use consent to excavate material and deposit material over an aquifer
- CRC214074 – A water permit to take groundwater via an underdrainage system and use water for dust suppression and compaction purposes, and to dam water in above-ground stormwater ponds
- CRC214075 – A discharge permit to discharge stormwater and water from the underdrainage system onto and into land
- CRC214076 – A discharge permit to discharge contaminants from an industrial and trade premise into air
- CRC214077 – A discharge permit to discharge contaminants (waste) into land
The applicant has applied for the following resource consents from the Waimakariri District Council:
- RC215276 - To undertake earthworks and establish and operate a landfill operation.
A resource consent duration of 35 years is sought for all of the resource consents.
Submissions and Related Documents
Applications can also be viewed at the Environment Canterbury offices at 200 Tuam Street, Christchurch, or the Waimakariri District Council office at 215 High Street, Rangiora, or online at: https://www.waimakariri.govt.nz/planning/notified-resource-consent-applications or at the Waimakariri District Council Oxford Service Centre/Library - 34 Main Street, Oxford
Any person may make a written submission on any of the above applications.
If not using the online submission form, send your submission to Environment Canterbury, PO Box 345 Christchurch 8140; or email to email@example.com.
A copy of the submission must also be sent to the Applicant at the address for service detailed above.
A submission should include your name, address and phone number and the applicants name and consent application number. A submission must state your reason for submitting, whether you support, oppose or have a neutral view on the applications; and if you wish to be heard in support of your submission.
For advice on the application: contact Environment Canterbury phone (03) 353-9007, or 0800 ECINFO (0800 324 636) or email firstname.lastname@example.org; or Waimakariri District Council 0800 965-468 and ask to speak to the Duty Planner, or email: email@example.com
Submissions must be received by Environment Canterbury no later than 5p.m. on Thursday 22nd December 2022.
Extension to Submission Closing Timeframe
Environment Canterbury and Waimakariri District Council have considered two requests to extend the timeframe to make a submission for the proposed Landfill at 513 Trig Road, Woodstock.
Both Councils have considered these requests and approved the following:
The request to extend the period for submissions for Environment Canterbury applications CRC214073, CRC214074, CRC214075, CRC14076 and CRC214077 and Waimakariri District Council application for land use consent RC215276, until 9 February 2023 be declined; but that an extension with the submission period now ending at 5:00 pm on Thursday, 22 December 2022, be approved.
A summary of the reasons for decision is as follows:
- Given the scale and complexity of the proposal and the large number of technical reports submitted with the application and further information request responses, it is considered that special circumstances under Section 37A(4)(b)(i) of the Resource Management Act 1991 warrant the extension of the submission timeframe until 5pm on Thursday, 22 December 2022. It is envisaged that this extension will not delay the planned hearing timeframe.
- Both Councils consider that allowing an extension until 22 December 2022 provides for the interests of the community by affording reasonable opportunity in the circumstances to lodge submissions, while not causing unreasonable delay or prejudice to the applicant. Everyone that has lodged a submission will be able to provide more detailed assessments that are supported by technical expert opinions as part of their hearing evidence, which would not be due until mid-end of March 2023.
Formal notification of this time extension of the submission period will be on both the Waimakariri District Council and Environment Canterbury websites.
If you wish to make a submission before this closing date, please refer to: https://www.ecan.govt.nz/do-it-online/resource-consents/notifications-and-submissions/current-consent-projects/woodstock-quarries-ltd/.
- 259.8kB CRC214073 CRC214074 CRC214075 CRC214076 CRC214077 & RC215276 - s37 timeframe extension for submission period closure decision
- 144.5kB Paper - Submission form to Woodstock Quarries Ltd
To request making a late submission, please contact Hearings at Environment Canterbury.