He puna wai, he puna tāngata. The pool of water sustains the pool of people.
We help ensure that we have enough clean, fresh water today and in the future.
Essential Freshwater package – our advice
Our advice and answers to some of your frequently asked questions, following the announcement of the Government’s Essential Freshwater package.
Learn about the state and trend of Canterbury's water.
Water use charges
Find out what consented water users will need to pay.
Where's good to swim today?
Check out the water quality at some of Canterbury's popular swimming sites.
Swimming water quality
We monitor the water quality at more than 100 of our region's favourite rivers, streams and beaches.
Canterbury's approach to water management
Understanding the Canterbury Water Management Strategy.
What's happening in my water zone?
Water zone committees work with the community to deliver freshwater management objectives.
Find out how we're tracking to achieve the community's long-term water goals.
Latest water news stories
Look a little deeper into water in Canterbury.
- Keep up to date via our Canterbury Water page on Facebook
- Check swimming water quality at your favourite recreational spot
- Explore the region's recreational waterbodies with new StoryMap
- View up-to-date cyanobacteria warnings for rivers and lakes
- Contact us if you notice contaminants in a waterway
- Check out the National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management
- Read the Canterbury Water Management Strategy quick guide.