Warmer, healthier homes a step closer
Canterbury homeowners can now get a $6000 rates advance to pay for home heating, insulation and ventilation improvements.
Today Environment Canterbury started accepting applications to Healthier Homes Canterbury, announced as part of the Long-Term Plan 2018-28.
Eligible ratepayers can apply for an advance of up to $6000 for heating, insulation and ventilation improvements and pay it back through their rates bills over nine years with interest. The interest rate for those joining before July 2019 is fixed at 5.9% per annum.
Deputy Chair Peter Scott says, “We’re delighted to be able to offer this option and help Cantabrians make their homes warmer, drier and healthier. One of our roles as a regional council is to ensure the air we breathe supports health and wellbeing, so helping people upgrade to cleaner heating technology is vital to that.”
“Some households are working towards switching to a modern burner or heat source that meets more stringent emissions standards than their older burner. Others don’t have insulation or ventilation to keep their home warm and dry,” Scott says.
“We know these upgrades can be costly. Not everyone is eligible for a subsidy, and not everyone has the money to pay upfront or loan money from a bank or retailer. Healthier Homes Canterbury provides an option for these people,” he says.
The Long-Term Plan 2018-28 sets aside $20 million for Healthier Homes Canterbury, up to a maximum of $3 million per year.
The 5.9% interest rate covers all costs incurred by Environment Canterbury to run the scheme, so that it does not impact other ratepayers.
- Up to $6000 including GST available per eligible ratepayer
- Paid back over nine years with interest
- Interest rate is fixed at 5.9% per annum (for those who join by June 2019)
- Cost neutral to Environment Canterbury
- Only registered retailers/installers may be used
- Only accepted products may be installed
- Home Performance Assessments strongly recommended
- Environment Canterbury pays registered suppliers directly
- Expected to accept applications until 2028
Read more information and download the application form here.