Report an environmental issue
Types of incidents reported include pollution in waterways, unauthorised water usage, dumping of hazardous materials and domestic waste, earthworks disturbing waterways and outdoor fires.
Reports from the individuals on potential incidents are prioritised based on risk to the environment or risk to the public. We take action on all reports we receive however this action may range from an investigation by an officer through to logging the incident on our database for future reference and analysis.
Incidents are dealt with by our monitoring and compliance team. Priority is given to cases that pose a significant risk to the public or environment. Some incidents may result in alleged offences under the Resource Management Act 1991 and lead to enforcement or prosecutions so we need clear details and some essential information to support our investigations.
Essential information includes:
- date and time the incident is witnessed
- how long the activity has been occurring
- location description, address if known and include landmarks if necessary
- photographs and video if possible
- details or descriptions of vehicles and /or possible offenders
- how you were affected by the activity.