Ashley Rakahuri Regional Park
Break Bank car parks closed for improvements
We are expanding and improving the two car parks near the Break Bank entrance of Ashley Rakahuri Regional Park (off Cones Road). Works will begin on about 20 October and last for approximately three weeks. We are protecting the trees in the area.
If you're in the Rangiora region or looking for a day out in North Canterbury, the Ashley Rakahuri Regional Park is the place to go for fishing, walking, swimming, cycling and family picnics.
Dogs must be kept under effective control at all times. No barbecues are provided but visitors are welcome to bring their own, provided they are gas-only and used in areas clear of vegetation. Light no fires. Dial 111 immediately if you see smoke or flames.
Car parking and entrances:
- River Road, slightly west of the intersection with West Belt. Access roads lead to Groyne 1 and an intermediate point on the Rakahuri Trail. Parking is available at this entrance, and at the ends of these access roads.
- Ashley picnic entrance: Off Milton Avenue which is on the east side shortly before the bridge over the Ashley Rakahuri River.
- Break Bank: this entrance is on Cones Road. It leads to two parking areas.
- Rail bridge: at the north end of East Belt.
- Rakahuri picnic area: entrance via the Ashley township.
- Rakahuri Trail - an easy shared, walking and mountain bike track running from Groyne 1, behind the racecourse, downstream to East Belt. Shorter mountain bike tracks can be found in the pine forest downstream from East Belt.
- Mike Kean Walkway - A 0.9km easy track from the Ashley Picnic Ground, east of the State Highway 1 road bridge, to the car park at the rail bridge.
Mountain biking - Shorter mountain bike tracks are accessed from the Rakahuri Trail downstream of the rail bridge car park. They offer single-track mountain biking.
BMX riding - The North Canterbury BMX Club tracks can be accessed off Milton Ave.
Picnics - A range of sites at Ashley, Rail Bridge, Groyne 1, Waikuku Beach and more.
Important hunting rules
- Only gamebird hunting is permitted at the Ashley Rakahuri Regional Park, including the riverbed.
- Target shooting with all types of firearm is prohibited.
- The hunting of small game such as rabbits and possums by the general public is prohibited.
- Gamebird hunting must only happen in the designated areas.
- Only shotguns may be used.
- A valid Fish & Game licence must be held.
- Fish & Game regulations and the Gamebird Hunting Code of Practice must be adhered to.
- Open hunting - gamebird hunting is permitted, provided hunters follow the above criteria including adhering to Fish and Game regulations.
- Restricted hunting - gamebird hunting is permitted between dawn and 9am, provided hunters follow the above criteria including adhering to Fish and Game regulations.
- Prohibited hunting - Gamebird hunting is prohibited in these areas at all times.
Ashley Rakahuri management plan
Please note this management plan is under review and may not reflect current guidelines and regulations. If you have questions, please contact the Duty Ranger on 03 353 9007 or by email at email@example.com.