The Upper Waitaki catchment is the most distinctive and largest of New Zealand’s high inland basins, almost completely derived from glacial activity with features ranging from alpine ice fields and lakes, to braided river plains. The region has many lakes including the glacial-fed lakes of Tekapo, Pukaki, Ohau and Alexandrina that lie behind moraines and the artificial hydro lakes of Ruataniwha, Benmore and Aviemore.
Love Our Lakes
If you’re planning a trip to the Upper Waitaki lakes, pack your own picnic to reduce food and drink rubbish when visiting your favourite lakeside spot.
Love Our Lakes: One Poo Can Close the Lake!
Find out what you can do to keep our lakes clean and poo-free this summer.
Action on the ground
We deliver work related to the zone committee's recommendations through an on-the-ground team made up of Environment Canterbury staff.
Meet your water zone committee
Meet your water zone committee members.
Zone committee recommendations for environmental limits are given effect to through the Canterbury Land and Water Regional Plan.
News and events
Check out your zone's latest stories, videos and newsletters via the news and events section of our website.
Visit the Farmers' hub to find zone-specific farming information.
Subscribe to your water zone mailing list
Are you interested in receiving the latest water zone committee news? Subscribe today.
Your natural environment
Discover the natural environment in the Upper Waitaki water zone.
View agendas and meeting papers
Use our document library to find water zone committee agendas and meeting papers.
- 559.3kB CWMS Upper Waitaki Zone Committee Action Plan July 2021 - June 2024
- 131.9kB Upper Waitaki compliance and incident report 2020-21 Snapshot Report
- 3.4MB View the Upper Waitaki Zone Work Programme Progress Update - 2018/19
- 2.7MB Upper Waitaiki Zone Water Management Committee Annual Review 2020
- 6.3MB View the Upper Waitaki water zone implementation programme
- 2.1MB View the Upper Waitaki water zone implementation programme addendum